Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dogs, Gringos, & Football

I started my placement yesterday....San Morroca Health Clinic...it was interesting..I got there and there was a line out the door of people from all walks of life...I put my stuff down and planned to be put in the lab or assists vaccines, but instead two nurses grabbed me and told me to follow them, we were going on house visits....

Well...house visits this time turned out to be not delivering vaccines or teaching nutrition by their has been an influx of pregnant women who have missed thier appointments, so with only a some medical forms and a list of addresses we made our way into the city...well to my surprise Ayacucho does not have organized addresses, if any? So it was more of a hunt then a visit...it ended up once completed a 4 mile hike through the city as we got lost and had to knock on neighboring doors to seek these mothers out...

I was placed in the poorest placement...literally there were stray dogs everywhere..in Peru they domesticate their cats and let dogs wander...their were dogs skulls and bones on the dirt street...I didnt realize it until I stumbled up on one...it was rather depressing...all the roads are dirty...it is sooo dusty...when we would get close to home dogs would snarl and run towards us barking trying to protect thier home....at first frightening, but then you just get used to it...

I went to a Peruvian soccer match last night...well it was more the volunteers playing locals...to say the least they were good...Elizabeth and I left early because we were exhausted and ended up having another adventure...we went up hill instead of down hill apparently and got lost...we got in one of those smart car taxis, with curtains and bike handles, I felt like I was in a rollercoaster falling in and out of potholes...it was actually pretty fun...

All they eat here is carbs...rice, potatoes (they have over 200 kinds of potatoes), bread, cheese, ...etc...and tons of fruit...they arent necessarily the healthiest...but food is good...spicy...

Oh and I am a gringo everywhere I go...I am not Katherine, white, American, medical aid, volunteer....nothing...just a gringo in the local streets....some are in awe of seeing someone so different, but others I get the feeling dont really like our presence... to be determined...

Alright, off to placcement, this should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment